911 VoIP CALLING INFORMATION AND TERMS
This information describes the steps that you, as a customer of this service (“You”), should take to ensure your safety and the safety of your employees and visitors. “Eastern” refers to Eastern Telephone & Technologies, Inc.
This information is incorporated into the terms of your Master Service Agreement and creates a legally binding obligation on you.
- As part of the process of subscribing to our voice services, you provide us with the street address, city, and state (“Service Address”) where you will be using your or your company’s voice service. Many of our customers have access to either basic 911 or E911 service depending on their service
- If you are a customer located in an area where the applicable emergency center offers E911 service, then, when you dial 911, your telephone number and registered address are sent by Eastern to the emergency center, where public safety dispatchers have access to this information in order to send help and call you back if
- However, if you are a customer located in an area where the applicable emergency center only offers basic 911 service, then, when you dial 911, the emergency center is not equipped to automatically receive your telephone number and address, and public safety dispatchers answering the call may not be able to access your telephone number and/or registered address. Therefore, in this situation, you must be prepared to supply this information on the call. Until you supply the public safety dispatchers with your phone number and address, the dispatcher may not be able to send help, and they may not be able to call you back if the call is disconnected or
- Emergency 911 Services and Enhanced 911 (“E911”) Services provided by Eastern, including Services using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), differ from the emergency calling services provided by a traditional telephone company. These differences may have an adverse impact upon the ability or timeliness of 911 responders to respond to or assist you or others in the event of an emergency. In addition, due to limitations on technology at the applicable emergency center, the location reported by Eastern to the public safety dispatcher for your telephones may not include a user’s specific location within a business premise. For this reason, it is important that you carefully follow the instructions
- For the purposes of 911, and to ensure the safety of you, your visitors, or your employees, you must register with Eastern the physical location where each user will utilize Eastern’s service with that phone line. Eastern will register the physical location or Service Address that you provide as part of subscribing to Eastern’s service. Please note that it is your responsibility to confirm the accuracy of your Service Address upon initial registration, and upon any further changes, additions, or transfers of phone numbers. You can do this by calling 606-432-0043. In addition, it is your obligation to require each user to provide Eastern with their specific location within your premises in the event of an emergency. When you move your device to another location, you must update your registered address. It is also your responsibility to require each user to update Eastern promptly when such user changes the physical location to which service is provided. If you (or your users) do not update location information, your 911 calls may be directed to an emergency center near your old address (instead of the new location), which may result in 911 responders being delayed in responding, or unable to respond, to the reported emergency. You may register only one 911 location at a time for each phone line. To be clear, you and your users must re-register the Service Address with Eastern each time the Service Address changes. Please note that this is standard and customary practice for any internet-based voice service, and it is designed to keep you, your visitors, or your employees safe in case of an
- In addition, with Eastern’s Unified Communications service, you may have the ability to connect your voice service to multiple devices and endpoints. Please note the following important service limitations with regard to the use of such devices or endpoints:
- Note that you must register (or instruct Eastern to register) the correct E911 address for each separate device within the Eastern portal (e.g., home phone, office phone, etc.).
- Emergency/911 calls are not supported from Eastern’s Unified Communications mobile application. Therefore, the Unified Communications mobile application should not be used for E911 emergency calls. If you or your users need to make an emergency/911 call using a mobile phone, do not use Eastern’s Unified Communications mobile application. Rather, you (or your user, as applicable) should use the mobile phone’s native dialer instead.
- Enhanced 911 service over the Internet has several limitations. Such limitations, including those discussed above, may prevent you from making emergency calls and include but are not limited to any of the following:
- Loss of electrical power
- Loss of Internet connection for any reason
- Termination of your account by your broadband ISP or by Eastern
- Defective or misconfigured customer premises equipment or software
- Network congestion
- Delays from updating your registered Service Address
- Non-voice equipment, such as security systems and medical monitoring equipment
- Relocating the equipment
- Simultaneous use of one line with multiple pieces of equipment
- The failure of the emergency response center to answer your calls
- Failures of third parties responsible for routing 911 calls
- You should advise all of your invitees, guests, visitors, employees, other persons who visit your residence or facility, and/or other persons who may make calls using the service of the limitations described above.
- In some cases, emergency calls may not be routed to the designated emergency center in your area. Rather, an emergency call may be routed to an alternative emergency center that may not have access to any or all of your registered Service Address information. Consequently, a user should be prepared to provide sufficient information with respect to their physical location to a public safety dispatcher. This method may delay the dispatch of emergency personnel to the user’s location. If the emergency call is disconnected for any reason prior to the time the user has provided a location and callback number, emergency personnel will have no way to contact the user or determine the user’s identity or location, and the user should immediately redial
- You will be given sticker(s) which provide important information to you and other users about the ability to reach 911 in the event of an emergency. It is important that you place the stickers next to all devices which use the Eastern service, including all session initiation protocol (“SIP”) telephones, analog telephone adapters, and telephones attached to an analog telephone adapter having the capability of connecting to our service, as well as all computers having softphone software installed. The sticker(s) should be conspicuously located near or on each device so that a caller can easily see it. Failure to situate a sticker or label near or on each device may result in a caller not knowing that he/she may not be able to reach 911 in the event of an
- You acknowledge and agree that if you are not comfortable with the limitations of Eastern’s 911 service, that you should always have an alternative means of accessing emergency services. To ensure that you and your users have access to emergency services, you acknowledge and accept that it is your sole responsibility to purchase, from a third-party separately from Eastern, traditional wireless or landline telephone service as a backup means of completing emergency calls. If the service is used in a home office environment, it is not intended to be used for personal, residential, nonbusiness, or nonprofessional commercial use. A home office user must provide alternative arrangements for residential emergency calls.
- To check your 911 activation status, call 606-432-0043.